Tuesday 15 March 2011

Franky


























I had planned to do a weekly blog and the excuse I was going to use for missing last week was that work came in a I didn't have time. There are guys and girls out there in the art world with immense work loads who still manage to keep on top of their blogs. I just forgot. I admit it!

So a week late I wanted to talk about colour. I was never really bothered much about colour when I was a student which sounds like madness as I'm an illustrator. The drawing was the most important aspect for me. However, while reading a article on colour theory I was struck by how ignorant I was. As part of the new direction which I will mention in a moment I thought it would be a great opportunity to improve on some of the basics that all illustrators should have. I.e. An understanding of colour. The above image of Franky is a monochromatic colour scheme, which is differing tints, shades and tones of the same hue. I'm sure you already knew that but to my great shame I didn't.

I have one last thing to say regarding the for mentioned new direction that was talked about in my last post. I fell straight back into old habits and it's only after sketching out the above doodle that I thought "I'm really having fun" and that was followed by "I wish I was having this much fun updating my portfolio". I was yet again working on designs I thought other people would like rather than the stuff I like. Why can't I have this much fun producing portfolio pieces? Why indeed. I suppose old habits die hard as they say.

Doodle was inked and coloured in Photoshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment